One individual research instead of several
This type of marketing research is called "collecting stereotypes based on target streaming" and has existed for more than 20 years. It
combines the advantages of qualitative and quantitative types of
research: gives information about clients's established beliefs and motivations. It also shows the rate of stereotype prevalence, their ratios and available resources for their reinforcement or correction.
The research method "collecting stereotypes based on target streaming" is spreading quite slowly for two reasons:
- it requires a marketing specialist to be highly qualified in identifying objectives and grouping, as well as in the interpretation of data*
- up until recently this method hasn't been taught at Russian higher education institutions due to the inertia of the Education system in Russia and for the lack of qualified teachers; only in 2014 in Tomsk was the course "Marketing and Sales of Innovative Products" designed for RANEPA (The Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration) at the request of RUSNANO and the Tomsk Regionial Administration**.
* Specialists of the Research Center "Target-Research" carried out more than one hundred studies of this type.
**Large amounts of research with thorough mistake analysis and data comparison are required for marketing specialists to master the implementation of this method with different objectcs . And while it is unachievable today in the frame of higher education, students (usually, marketing specialists and innovative companies CEOs) after finishing this course, successfully carry out express researches of this type at their companies.
How is an interview conducted?
- We only interview people who are in the process of purchasing a product or its equivalent, in order to only collect active and relevant stereotypes, as opposed to just familiar ones that have no affect on an interviewee's behavior;
- We use open-end questions (so that answers do not depend on our assumptions), simple ones (people are not forced into contriving impressive answers), short ones (they make getting answers possible even for the last questions, as people do not get tired during the interview)
We record answers word-for-word, so that
we can use these wordings to deliver information to target customers
We get answers for all these questions immediately:
- What are selection criteria used by target customers when they choose you or your competitors?
- Why do some of the target customers initially go to your competitors?
- Why do other customers come to you first?
- Why do some of the customers leave you?
- Why do some of the customers leave your competitors?
- What preconceptions about companies on the market do customers have?
- What preconceptions about goods/services are there?
- What can persuade a customer to change his/her behaviour?
- How well known are the companies providing any given services?
- Are the customers ready to purchase new goods/services? If not, then why not? If yes, then at what price?